Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Wrapping Up

I've just moved back to Northern California from...well...the outside world. After traveling for seven years it's comforting to get wrapped up again in the Redwood Curtain. I grew up in Arcata, and even as a teenager I can remember being surrounded by excellent food. The Arcata Plaza has never been lacking for restaurants, but today I encountered Renata's Creperie for the first time.

Not since my last trip to Albania have I been to a restaurant where crepes took a dominant position on the menu, and Renata's is getting everything right: a clear distinction between sweet and savory dishes, with necessary fillings like cheese, prosciutto, Nutella, bananas, and berries available, and all the espresso you need to finish it off. Of course the restaurant displays an Arcatan style with unique art and a menu that proudly declares a commitment to the best ingredients.

Lunch:

Swiss Delight (daily special):
  • Swiss
  • Jack
  • Prosciutto
  • Spinach
  • Onion
  • Garlic
  • Tomato
  • Creme Fraiche
  • Green salad garnish
Swiss delight indeed. This was a rich, smooth, satisfying meal, wrapped in a hearty (whole wheat?) crepe. It should have been enough, but I had a free afternoon and another page on the menu to explore, so when I was asked if I wanted dessert, I felt it would be negligent of me to decline.

Dessert:

Sweet Sister:
  • Nutella
  • Banana
  • Crushed almond and powdered sugar topping
  • Rum flambe'
The flambe' is optional on the menu, but not in my heart's desires. It's a wonder they don't list decadence as one of the ingredients. This is a full-sized crepe, filled to the corners with rich, creamy Nutella. If you have any doubts about your capacity to finish dessert, bring a friend with you; there's a corner in Hell set aside for people who waste food this good.

No comments:

Post a Comment