Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Petaluma Farmers Market/Eats on the street

Every Wednesday, the city of Petaluma hosts a Farmer's Market. Tonight was the first time I dropped by, and I was quickly overwhelmed by all of the available food. Fresh, organic produce notwithstanding, there were at least a dozen food and drink stands, more than I could handle in one visit. These sorts of unexpected treats are the essence of low-hanging fruit. Picking a main course was an obvious choice, but since it wouldn't be ready for 30 minutes I got to pass the time with other selections. Caught in the carefree atmosphere, I started with dessert and coffee:

Peanut butter sandwich cookie from Baker Girl. Two mouth-melting peanut butter cookies are held in concert with a sweet peanut butter creme filling; the elements of this cookie collide in a way that opens a tiny portal to a peanut butter dimension, both beautiful and frightening in its deliciousness. Now, I love and respect chocolate-dipping as a natural evolution of the peanut butter cookie medium, but this sandwich is a hardcore option for PB enthusiasts.

First Course:
Crepe with tomato, brie, and pesto from Brittany Crepes and Galettes. Their savory selections are served in a sturdy buckwheat crepe, free of dairy and gluten. The hot tomatoes and gooey brie took me back to Paris. I had a tough choice between this and a salmon crepe (but there's always next week.) The simplicity and unpretentious construction is really the best thing about a dish like this, and I put it in a category similar to sub sandwiches, pizza, or ramen: it's everything that you love to eat, wrapped in a pancake. I should have them cater my shooting-fish-in-a-barrel party next week.

Main Course:

Paella from Bro's Bar-B-Que. The gargantuan pan drew a crowd hungry for aromatic spices and saffron-infused rice. The shrimp and chicken each came out flavorful and juicy. Barbeque is a street market staple, but this was an especially welcome offering.

Had I the stomach, I would have happily stacked my plate higher with polish sausage, carnitas, brisket, and a pizza. There's always next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment