Saturday, April 18, 2009

Many bubbles make tickling: a new sake, get!

Today I had the urge to drink sake. Nothing special, but I had shoyu chicken in mind and sake would be the right wine to accompany the meal. Look what I found at the store:



Kawaii, ne? This carbonated, imported sake is intended to be served chilled, like a beer. I'm always up for new things, so I picked one up (along with a bottle of the regular stuff, just in case.)

The sake is smooth, with a fruity, pear-like tone. The fizz is present, but not overbearing; just enough to feel like you're washing something down. But it quickly becomes evident that this is basically a cheap sake with not much of a kick. It is a sake wine cooler: a low-gravity alternative to beer. This is a sake that should be enjoyed outside; try serving it at your next sakura-viewing party and teriyaki grill. However, at six dollars a bottle it seems almost too gimmicky for its own good, and I can't help but feel that I didn't get quite what I paid for. But what is booze but folly in a glass?

No comments:

Post a Comment