Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Greece: the cradle of civilization, and salad!

As a bachelor foodie, one of my life's difficulties is that when I cook it's usually for one, and I'd better like the leftovers. So it's a good thing when I have a dish I don't mind devouring on a daily basis. This one is a perfect example.


Greek salad. It's Spring, and I've been jonesing for fresh, crisp veg, hence the generous portion. Romaine lettuce (don't be shy, chop it into big pieces), tomato, red onion, kalamata olives, feta cheese, dressed with olive oil and vinegar to taste. I've also opted for sliced grilled chicken. For some crunch, throw on a mild crouton or crushed pita chips.

Of course, this salad is brain-dead easy. But I must emphasize just how perfectly balanced it is in flavor, texture, and beauty. The colors dance on the plate. The ingredients are crisp, supple, succulent, rich, mild, sweet, salty, and tart; every bite is a unique combination of these elements but it always works.

I wish I could remember the first time I ordered this salad, but I do remember that when I've eaten it in Albania it was excellent. If you're a restaurant in the Durres beachfront you can't miss. But don't fall for one of the misguided attempts they serve in Turkmenistan. To be safe, just don't go to Turkmenistan. I'd also like to thank an old friend for introducing me to feta cheese: Nathaniel, you're a good man.

No comments:

Post a Comment