Monday, May 30, 2011

Russian River Pub - First Bloody Mary

This weekend I did a little camping with a few friends, at Russian River just north of Santa Rosa. The site was one of those well-established spots where you have to pay registration, and there are defined camp areas, and hot showers, and an arcade; really more of a motel where you bring your own tent. Despite the attendant doing a courtesy patrol at 10 PM, it was a fine staging area for the river, and the human interaction around a wood fire is timeless.
Sunday morning, Jeff and I strolled up to the Russian River Pub for breakfast. Without hesitation we each ordered from the daily specials. Jeff took the large breakfast burrito (spinach tortilla, eggs, cheese, potatoes, bacon); for me, the huevos rancheros narrowly won against the eggs Benedict. Our friendly waitress had full confidence in our selections.


The rancheros come over easy on a tortilla, topped with beans, cheese, tomatoes, olives, jalapeƱo, mushrooms, and sides of salsa, guacamole, sour cream, potatoes, and extra tortillas. I threw on the sausage patty for good measure. Just as we were starting, Jeff suggested Bloody Mary's. I'd never tried one before, and the volume of beer we went through the night before made it hard to resist.


The huevos rancheros were easily the best I've ever had. The bloody mary was easily the first I've ever had; tasty, but I might have liked it balanced with some more spice. In all, breakfast at the Russian River Pub is a perfect start for a long river day. 

Surrounded by towering redwoods and loaded with delicious calories, I felt fortified for hours of sunbathing and swimming in a river that's just above freezing. In the river I picked up a wood plank, about a foot square and two inches thick, that happened to float by. I feel like putting it up on Etsy as some "reclaimed" knickknack.

No comments:

Post a Comment