Tuesday, August 9, 2011

If It Bleeds, We Can Grill It

I've bought a grill. It's a Char-Broil Commercial series 2-burner propane-fired grill. I don't intend to get into the gas/charcoal debate here (they both have their merits.) But this is sincerely the most exciting thing to happen in my culinary life for some time.

The grill is solid. It's the most basic model in its line, but for my purposes it carries the load. Assembly took a little longer than I expected; everything is well-organized, though some screwing points are hard to reach and where the instructions recommend two people, they mean it. When all is ready, the grill is easy to use and produces good results.

For a first test I chose something as basic as it is essential to grilling: beef steak. If I couldn't pull that off, I didn't deserve a grill of my own.



I have selected a grass-fed New York cut from Oliver's Market. I've paired it with asparagus and a Trinity Oaks cabernet sauvignon. Those apricots will go on the grill as well. Yes, everything is getting grilled up in this bitch.


Dinner:
  • New York steak, oiled, salted, peppered
  • Asparagus
  • Wine

Everything came out nicely. The meat was tender, pink, and juicy. The veggies were tasty and just a little smoky. The apricots hot off the grill were of particular interest: their flesh massaged by the flame, it gushed with sweet, tart juice, and glowed brightly.

Dessert:
The assembly was worth the results. The excitement of experimentation transcends the humble stature of the equipment. The art of grilling is a subtle suburban competition, and I look forward to drawing me neighbors' noses to new delights.


No comments:

Post a Comment